Coming to an America near you…

Coming to an America near you…


Yeah. LOL. OK.


But think about the argument here. On one hand, you’re told that remote work has “never been more difficult” to find but on the other, you’re supposed to believe that RTO mandates are failing. That seems an oxymoron to me. If RTO mandates were actually failing, more companies would cave in and offer remote work rather than having office space sitting empty.

Be careful with anything that appears to be hopium. These confusing mixed messages seem to be everywhere these days.


I suppose the argument would be, “Well, one is about the UK and the other is about the US.” Sure, I get that. How long do you think that will be the case? I suspect we’ve already headed in that direction more than the MSM wants you to believe.


From the WFH Research LinkedIn cites:

“By May’23: 12% of Full-Time Employees Were Fully Remote, 59% Were Full-Time on Site, and 29% Were in a Hybrid Arrangement”

Whatever someone’s take on RTO vs WFH might be re: isn’t it so much better this way, this information is pretty telling. In the survey’s results, 88% of people were either on-site full-time or were in a hybrid arrangement. This leaves only 12% of folks in a fully remote job.

The tide is turning. I don’t agree with it and I’m not telling you I endorse it. I’m telling you this is reality. As Jed Hill says: This is the present. It is the here and the now. Welcome to the land of You Don’t Have a Choice.


Offices in the U.K. are making a comeback—or maybe employees are. Workers and employers have been engaged in a tug-of-war over return-to-work mandates since the easing of COVID-19 restrictions. But U.K. employers’ push to bring their staff back to the office may now be paying off, with more workers coming to offices all days of the week than staying home—for the first time since the pandemic.


(Image made by me on Canva)


AWA, a workplace consultancy, found in an international survey that employees came to offices on average about two days of the week. The decision for how many days could further depend on factors such as commute time, organizational culture, and more, AWA’s consulting director Brad Taylor wrote in a blog post last month.

“What we’re seeing is that people value being able to work remotely,” Taylor said, noting the range of benefits hybrid work offers to employees. “But that is just one facet of a healthy organisation (productive employees). What is also required is the cohesiveness that enables things to be done collectively. That’s a challenging thing to do purely virtually.”

-Yahoo Finance, Ibid.


In other words: yeah, people want to work remotely and see the value in it. BUT the corporations want you to c’mon back to the cube farm. So they’ll come up with excuses about how good and proper and valuable it is to be together. When that doesn’t work, the carrot goes to the stick.

No Comments

Leave a Reply